The Dance in the Deeps
A Clockwork Armada
Quote of the Week
"You're in America now," I said. "Our idea of diplomacy is showing up with a gun in one hand and a sandwich in the other and asking which you'd prefer."
--Harry Dresden [Turn Coat, by Jim Butcher]
Joke of the Week
There are only 10 kinds of people in the world: Those who know binary, and those who don't.
Makes 24 small (3 inch) tortillas.
- 1.5 cups water
- 0.5 cup oil
- 1.5 teaspoons salt
- 0.5 teaspoon baking powder
- 4 cups all purpose (white) flour
- Turn fire on a cast iron griddle. Bring to a medium/low heat.
- Mix all ingredients together in a large bowl. It will be difficult to mix thoroughly, so...
- Dump out on counter and mix the rest of the way with your hands.
- Pinch off a bit and roll into a ball.
- Flatten the bit with finger tips and place on counter.
- Using rolling pin, flatten the bit almost paper thin, rotating and/or flipping until tortilla shape. (To keep the tortilla from rolling up around the pin: place pin about one quarter of the way from the near edge of the tortilla and roll towards yourself then roll away from self on second pass. This is done to make the dough sick a bit to the counter so that it does not roll up around the pin.)
- Cook on griddle, flipping once. When finished, first side will have no color (be white) and second side will have a few light brown spots.
- Place cooked tortillas between a cloth to keep warm.
- When all are done, place cloth full of tortillas into a plastic grocery bag to keep from drying out. (Store in a ziplock.)